How-To SR-22

An SR-22 is a form proving that a driver has insurance, but is not an actual insurance policy. It is often required for drivers who have received a DUI or DWI, license suspension, too many tickets in too short of time, or have been caught driving without insurance. An SR-22 is the most common coverage method used when drivers are considered “high-risk” by their insurance providers because of issues with their driving record.

Insure On The Spot explains that in order to obtain an SR-22, you must fill out a form providing your name, address, birth date, social security and driver’s license number, auto insurance policy number, start, and end dates, and the details of your vehicle. Your insurance company sends the SR-22 certificate to the Secretary of State, who then sends you a copy of the certificate upon acceptance.

Once you receive your certificate, it is important to understand your state’s SR-22 requirements. An SR-22 has a filing period that varies by state and severity of offense, but is usually around three years. Some states do not require SR-22s, such as New Mexico, Oklahoma, Pennsylvania, Minnesota, Kentucky, and Delaware. However, if you move to one of those states during the time you are carrying an SR-22, you must still meet the filing requirements of the original state that you moved from. However, it is not enough to just keep up with your filing requirements, you also have to maintain car insurance. Auto insurance companies are required by law to notify the DMV of inactive insurance policies. So, your license could be suspended if you file an SR-22 form with the DMV but lapse on your insurance.

SR-22 coverage may be more expensive than a typical insurance policy, but it is often the best option for those who are struggling to find adequate insurance because of blemishes on their driving record. Therefore, it is important to determine your risk-rating and shop around to receive the best quote possible for your SR-22 coverage. According to the website of Habush Habush & Rottier S.C. ®, if you need to take out an SR-22, you have to be aware that your driving privileges are on thin ice and could be revoked if you make another slip-up.

Read More

Who Needs SR-22 Insurance?

Having an SR-22 can mean a lot of things – according to Franklin car accident lawyers, a person who has caused an accident and is unable to provide any proof of insurance, or having been caught with DUI or other driving offences, or have repeat driving violations in short periods of time. An SR-22 is a form of endorsement or certificate that shows proof of your financial responsibility. A person who has an SR-22 needs to carry it from a certain amount of time (usually three years), and then the SR-22 status expires.

Not all states have SR-22, and laws pertaining to them vary from state to state. There are three ways that an SR-22 certificate is issued, and these are the forms:

  • If the driver is not the owner of the vehicle, an Operator’s Certificate is issued.
  • If the driver owns the vehicle, an Owner’s Certificate is given. It should be noted that the types of vehicle should be listed on the SR-22; otherwise the certificate may be issued for “all owned vehicles”.
  • If it is issued for all vehicles (whether or not owned by the driver), an Operator’s/Owner’s Certificate is then issued.

People who have SR-22 often pay higher insurance premiums in order to prove to the state that they have minimum liability insurance. Paying the premiums before the due date or on time helps in preventing policy lapses; these lapses or cancellation of SR-22 policy run the risk of having your license revoked or suspended again. If you’re at the point where you are being forced into an SR-22, you have to be really careful about driving so as to not face these consequences.

As not all insurance companies are registered with the states, and thus not able to issue an SR-22 certification, trying to find a company that can help in filing it (especially for the first time) may be the best recourse. Always remember, policies regarding SR-22 vary from state to state, therefore it is always best to contact the insurance company of the agent about the specifics on the state.

Read More